Friday, July 27, 2007

Is anyone cooking out there???

Well, since no one has posted in a while... I can safely assume that we are all eating out, or maybe just eating pb&j's for dinner. :)

I have a few recipes that I will share to get you out of your eating rut... I mean really, how many pb&j's can you have???

First is My Breakfast Burrito. I know some might scoff at having breakfast for dinner, so you have my complete permission to use this recipe for breakfast.

For my family of four you will need....

1 dozen eggs (don't freak out.. I use the whites for half of the recipe)
Favorite Breakfast meat (i.e. bacon, ham, sausage) We use ham.
1 cup of shredded cheese (we use cheddar)
1 package of frozen potatoes (you can use anything.. tater tots, hash browns, country style... the point being a potato that doesn't need a ton of cooking)
Tortillas

Options...
Salsa, sour cream, your choice of veggies (we use tomatoes and broccoli on a good day!!)

So, first I separate my eggs ( 6 whole, and 6 whites) into a bowl. I try to cut back where I can, so I can add yummy stuff later. I add salt and pepper and a dash of milk or cream and scramble to your family's likes. At the same time, I pop the potatoes (we use the tater tots)in a hot oven to crisp up. When the eggs are just about done I add about a cup of diced ham just to warm through.

Then you can assemble how you like. My husband and I like the potatoes inside the tortilla, but the kiddos don't, so I just make up the burritos to each person specifications. It is really fast and easy and yummy. I also try to serve with fresh fruit.. so it balances things out a little bit. :)


And I want you to know that I did take pictures, but I have misplaced them.. so here is a stock photo that looks every bit as good as mine. Yes, it does... stop saying that it doesn't!!


Ok... my next dinner is Baked Chicken Parmesean (but shhhh, my son hates Parmesean cheese.. but doesn't even know it is in here!!)
Oh.. and this dinner will feed 6-8 people

1 package frozen chicken breasts (Trader Joes's $5.99)
2 cups favorite seasoned bread crumbs (or just toast some bread and throw it in the food processor)
1 cup Parmesean cheese, grated
1 can favorite tomato sauce
1 package of spaghetti
1 cup shredded mozarella cheese

Options... French Bread, and salad. :)

So, I use the frozen chicken because it is easier. I rinse it off (still frozen) so the bread crumbs will stick without having to use egg and flour and all that mess! If you didn't use seasoned bread crumbs, I would advise adding some salt, pepper, and garlic to your breadcrumbs. Then you just press the crumbs into your chicken and put in on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cook your spaghetti noodles. When the chicken is done, take a little bit of sauce and spoon it over the chicken and then sprinkle with the mozarella. Put it back in the oven just until the cheese is melted.

Then you just plate it up. The picture below is my hubby's portion and he had salad, which I didn't take a picture of. I know... don't write to me about how many carbs are in that there meal!! Just eat up!:)

No comments: