Wednesday, May 23, 2007

As promised.. tonight's dinner.

Recipe for Tostadas...

1 package flour tortillas (you can use corn as they are cheaper, but I am allergic so we have to go with flour)
1 lb. ground meat (we use turkey)
1 28oz can of refried beans (we use No fat Rosarita)
1 Tbsp. each garlic, cumin, and chili powder.
Salt and pepper to taste
Optionals... any taco filling your family loves...

So, I start by browning the meat and spices in a skillet. You can certainly use the taco seasoning from the store.. but I don't like all the preservatives they add, so I came up with this combo of spices that taste very similar. When browned, add entire can of beans. You will also need to add a little water to get everything mixed up. This is the base for your tostada. It shouldn't be too thick.. it needs to be spreadable.

While this is going on, heat a little bit of oil (not olive..)in a skillet and turn to medium high. If you prefer not to crisp up your tortillas, you can call it Burrito night, assemble and be done, but my family looooves the crispies.... :) I just brown on both sides, drain, and assemble with our fave ingredients. We like lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese, sour cream, salsa and olives. I put everything in little bowls because not every ingredient is liked by every person. Anything goes for your family... And, yes, I did take pictures tonight!!! :)




ETA... I have 2 more things to say about this filling... 1. I use it to fill a small tortilla, heat it up, and wrap it in foil for my son's lunchbox!! He luurves it! And 2. I heat it up with some cheese and use it for a kick-booty bean dip!! :) Happy eating.

2 comments:

Lauren Faiai said...

Hmmmm...I think this one would be really fun for my son to help me with!! Looks Awesome! Great Picture. I like the ground turkey idea too. I just started using it a couple weeks ago, and my carnivore of a husband didn't notice the difference!!

Sarah said...

Yay... it took Todd a while to get used to it! The beans and spices do a good job of hiding the turkey flavor! :)